Donate blood and save lives. Villa Park Elementary is partnering with the American Red Cross to host a blood drive through the Pint-Size Hero Program. Students have the opportunity to recruit donors for the upcoming blood drive to help save lives. Support your student, community, VPE and help save lives by donating blood, recruiting other donors or volunteering at the blood drive.
What: Villa Park Elementary Blood Drive
Where: Villa Park Elementary
10551 Center Dr. Villa Park, CA 92861
When: Tuesday May 8, 2018
Date/Time: 8:00 AM to 2:00 PM
Information: Contact the blood drive coordinator, Karen Parrish, at (714) 997-6281 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org for any questions.
Giving Blood Tips:
Before Your Blood Donation:
- Make an Appointment.
- Eat Iron-Rich Foods.
- Stay rested and hydrate. A good night’s sleep the night before is important.
- Eat healthy foods and drink extra liquids.
Day of Blood Donation:
- Know your prescription and over the counter medications.
- Drink an extra 16 oz. of water (or other nonalcoholic drink) before your appointment.
- Eat a healthy meal, avoiding fatty foods like hamburgers, fries or ice cream.
- Wear a shirt with sleeves that you can roll up above your elbows.
- Let us know if you have a preferred arm or particular vein that has been used successfully in the past to draw blood.
- Relax, listen to music, talk to other donors or read while you donate.
After Your Blood Donation:
- Keep the strip bandage on for the next several hours; to avoid a skin rash, clean the area around the bandage with soap and water.
- Don’t do any heavy lifting or vigorous exercise for the rest of the day.
- If the needle site starts to bleed, apply pressure and raise your arm straight up for 5-10 minutes or until bleeding stops.
- If you experience dizziness or lightheadedness, stop what you’re doing and sit down or lie down until you feel better; avoid performing any activity where fainting may lead to injury for at least 24 hours.
- Keep eating iron-rich foods.
- If you donate frequently, be sure to take multivitamins with iron to ensure you continue to replenish your iron stores before your next donation.